Attention Ask Ontario

Mr Junglas- Ontario would be more than happy to replace the screws free of charge and I heard that they just sent out some replacements for a customer. Were you that customer? If not please contact Ontario again with your request and I will notify them that it is coming. Since I don't know your actual name please include your handle from this forum "Junglas" so that I will know your request is being fulfilled.

Mr. Hashishiin- I have no idea why the RAT 1s are made in China and Taiwan and what the differences are. I will inquire about this and your other questions and hopefully have an answer soon.

Mr Junglas- Ontario would be more than happy to replace the screws free of charge and I heard that they just sent out some replacements for a customer. Were you that customer? If not please contact Ontario again with your request and I will notify them that it is coming. Since I don't know your actual name please include your handle from this forum "Junglas" so that I will know your request is being fulfilled.

Mr. Hashishiin- I have no idea why the RAT 1s are made in China and Taiwan and what the differences are. I will inquire about this and your other questions and hopefully have an answer soon.

Thank you D Dan Maragni ! You’re such a class act helping me out with this. I’m a big fan of your influence on Ontario

The RAT 1 with micarta scales is the only item in the RAT line made entirely in China because the manufacturers in Taiwan could not obtain the micarta material. That means all the parts for the micarta RAT 1 are made in China and the blades are heat treated in China.

Ontario has no plans to discontinue the Taiwanese made RATs.

Is your entire SP line made in 1075 steel now?

SP-1
SP-6

I'm curious about these. I also already have older SP-53 in 5160

Yes, the entire SP line is now made of 1075 steel.

The 5160 SPs were the first project I ran at Ontario and I had pretty much total control over the design, material selection and heat treatment of the knives. I'm glad that you managed to get one.
I'm so sad to see 5160 go.

Yes, the entire SP line is now made of 1075 steel.

The 5160 SPs were the first project I ran at Ontario and I had pretty much total control over the design, material selection and heat treatment of the knives. I'm glad that you managed to get one.
That's good info, thank you.

I am also a fan of the SP series. They are true "users" in my opinion. Comfortable handle and a diverse range of blades.

I will miss the 5160 in the remaining designs.

There are a few SP knives that have been discontinued that will be missed!

I enjoy the SP43 as well, and wish it was still available. It is actually quite light, and after knocking the edge apex shoulders down cuts very well.

I was also sad to see the 5160 go.

The Gen IIs were designed to be to be "users" and I'm glad that they were viewed as such.
Do you know whether the SPAX SP-16 changed steels over the years? I’ve read different sources saying it was/is 5160 and 1095.

I was also sad to see the 5160 go.

The Gen IIs were designed to be to be "users" and I'm glad that they were viewed as such.
That 5160 is fantastic. I do love the SP-II series because they are such great users. I have about half a dozen of them including an SP-5 in the mail right now. I put a slight convex on the edge when I re-sharpen them and I love to beat the heck out of all of them as nature intended. These hard chopping beasts can and should be used hard for generations, so thanks a lot to you and the whole OKC team for putting together such a dominant lineup! My convexed SP-53 convexed with added choil and 1.5" acutely sharpened area just above that is my favorite. (like on a terava skrama)

Thank you for your kind words, we certainly appreciate them. It also appears we both share a love of beating the heck out of knives, an essential part of knife design and construction as far as I'm concerned.

I am also a big fan of convex edges and actually worked with Steven Bader and Co. and designed a machine to produce them. I was working on my Norman Sword project at the time and used the machine to sharpen them. The blades were about 34" long and double edged so it took a bit of finessing to avoid cutting myself but they came out shaving sharp. It has been my experience that almost every historic and ethnographic sword blade I have examined had convex edges and those guys really knew what they were doing.

I was unfamiliar with the "terava skrama" so I looked it up, thank for the reference and they look somewhat "seaxy". I am a big fan of Scandinavian saxes and Anglo-Saxon seaxes and have designed a few of both types (even forged some) that I have submitted to Ontario. The Scandanavian saxes must have been a successful design because they were around for about 1000 years and the Anglo-Saxon seaxes almost as long. Both were also made in a wide variety of lengths from 3" to 30", some were used as utility knives and some as weapons.

Back