The Cheapskate Club Membership Thread

My opinion, if you’ve ever not bought a more expensive knife because, you know, it was more expensive, that oughtta at least be good for a foot in the door.

I kinda went off the deep end a little bit towards the end of the year and bought a handful of CRK’s and an iMamba. But I did buy them used, and most everything else before and after should keep me mostly in the cheapskate category. And there’s nothing left on my wish list over $100, in fact most are well under. I think I’m safe. Anyway, who’s gonna throw me out. 😝

The dealer is not a BF supporter, so I can't send you a link. But if you Google "Douk Douk 14C28N" you should be able to find the source pretty easily.

Here's my newest cheapskate addition, bought sometime a month ago for about $20:

View attachment 2488606

The serrations aren't super aggressive, probably because of the steep scandi grind. I think I'll thin down the bevels over time.

View attachment 2488607

View attachment 2488608
I don’t think forum rules prevent you from sending a link, you just can’t post a link to a non-member vendor. If I have that wrong, please correct me.

I don’t think forum rules prevent you from sending a link, you just can’t post a link to a non-member vendor. If I have that wrong, please correct me.
Indeed, you are correct. But the member to whom I was responding does not have a membership level with PM privileges. Otherwise I would have send a link under separate cover.

Hello: New member here. I just discovered this forum. I don’t know a lot about knives. I just like them. Most of my 30 or so knives were gifts over the last 40 years or so or inherited more recently. My most recent purchase was a Case Mini-Trapper with yellow scales (right term?). I saw it in an LGS and couldn’t resist. I would post a photo but haven’t figured out how.

Hello: New member here. I just discovered this forum. I don’t know a lot about knives. I just like them. Most of my 30 or so knives were gifts over the last 40 years or so or inherited more recently. My most recent purchase was a Case Mini-Trapper with yellow scales (right term?). I saw it in an LGS and couldn’t resist. I would post a photo but haven’t figured out how.
Go get an free account on Imgur. From there you can upload and download pics to anyplace you want. I believe we have a tutorial if you use the search box but it is pretty easy to figure out. Oh and Welcome to the board sir.

Well, we have card-carrying members that swear they are Cheapskates. Perhaps we could tell of our cheapskate knives that we are proud of - that work well and serve our purpose. So could we can expand our club from just taking in members to a "Show & Tell"?

Tried to buy a cheapskate knife.. but got a counterfeit!

I bought a cheap knife the other day and wanted to show it off here. I bought it on Amazon, of course, where else should a real cheapskate shop? 😆
I don't wanna say all Amazon sells is counterfeit, I bought a few decent knives there, but this time I was out of luck.

Meet my Schrade Needle Magnum: US$26, 7"blade, AUS8 steel (???), handle made out of shit:

n5Z5Nw5.jpg

KqNIiTg.jpg

D4itqpE.jpg

The finish looks cheap as if someone painted the blade with oil paint. The blade is thin (3.0 mm = 0.12 in) and is very flexible! It bends if I apply a slight pressure on it, I think it will break if I bend it hard enough. On the whole, it looks very cheap, poorly made, bad finish, and has defects in the serrations.

I believe it's a counterfeit. I have three other Shcrades, they are inexpensive but on the whole, they are well-made knives, they don't make an impression of a cheap Chinese knock-off, like this one.

Returned for a refund. Will think twice before buying knives on Amazon again.

Last edited:
Go get an free account on Imgur. From there you can upload and download pics to anyplace you want. I believe we have a tutorial if you use the search box but it is pretty easy to figure out. Oh and Welcome to the board sir.
Thanks, Trying that now.

Thanks, Trying that now.

Well, we have card-carrying members that swear they are Cheapskates. Perhaps we could tell of our cheapskate knives that we are proud of - that work well and serve our purpose. So could we can expand our club from just taking in members to a "Show & Tell"?
Our fearless leader, D dogstar , created a thread in that vein last year:

Perhaps OP, at his leisure, could open up a new thread so as not to clutter this one.

Back