Podcast centered around slip joint making/traditional knife history - The Catch Bit Show

I'm just enjoying listening to Episode 26 - So much I agree with in relation to terminology! :D A great educated conversation :) There was a line by Mark near the beginning of the show I could really related to! :D :) I'd never heard the term 'slipjoint' until I discovered online knife forums. I grew up with the words 'pocketknife', 'penknife', and also 'jack knife', 'lock-knife', and 'clasp knife'. I also knew the names of some patterns, and blade shapes. I think the correct historical generic term for what are called 'slipjoints', is 'spring knife', a word still in use, by cutlers, in Sheffield. I'd also never heard the term 'fixed blade' before finding online forums, I knew them as 'sheath knives', but I also knew 'scout knives', and 'Bowie knives'. An earlier term for 'fixed blades' is 'case knives', which is used by Mark Twain in Huckleberry Finn.

Just a couple of things in relation to the Norfolk Knife, English pronunciation is always tricky, and Norfolk is pronounced 'Nor-fuk', rather than 'Nor-foke'. While Norfolk is a county on the eastern coast of England, Joseph Rodgers had their showroom at 6 Norfolk Street in Sheffield, the street being named after the Duke of Norfolk, rather than the county. Other prominent Sheffield streets, (some of which Neal has walked along), include Arundel Street, Howard Street, Mowbray Street, and Surrey Street, as well as Fitzalan Square, all of which relate to the Dukes of Norfolk. As I'm sure everyone knows, the Norfolk Knife doesn't have the name on it twice, it has 'Norfolk Knife' on the blade, and '6 Norfolk Street' on the blade tang! :D

"Reverse Tanto"! 🤣 :thumbsup:

Since it does not currently seem viable for Geoff Tweedale to publish a 3rd edition of his directory, he is contributing his research to the 'Name on a Knife Blade' project, which is already expanding as a result.

Really enjoyed the discussion, Mark Z is a wealth of knowledge :) I love Knife Magazine, but wish I could get it mailed in something other than transparent packaging.

Keep it up guys, great show :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, Duncan, Jerbhola89, and Jack.
And Jack, thanks for adding a bit of information and pronunciation. Barrett and I were having a chuckle about "your" English language and the many dialects of such. :)

Thanks, Duncan, Jerbhola89, and Jack.
And Jack, thanks for adding a bit of information and pronunciation. Barrett and I were having a chuckle about "your" English language and the many dialects of such. :)
I can imagine! :D I don't know if there is anymore consistency with how English is spoken in the USA, but there is absolutely NONE here! o_O That's before you get to all the regional accents and dialects! 🤯 There are also names and place-names which are deliberately disguised by snobbishness and pretension :rolleyes: In Knightsbridge in London, for example, there's a well-known street, which appears on the map as Beauchamp Pont, it's pronounced Beecham Place!! 😵‍💫 Or by very localised pronunciation - Thwaite is an old Viking word, meaning a piece of land cleared for cultivation. Various forms of it are common, particularly in Yorkshire. Generally, it is pronounced 'Th-wait', but there are places in West Yorkshire called 'Linthwaite' and 'Slaithwaite', which are pronounced, 'Lin-it' and 'Sl-ow-it'! :D

Hope you had a great time at the show pal :) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
That's interesting Jack, and the same certainly applies here in the U.S. with words pronounced differently across the country. Being a "far" Northerner, I have a very tough time understanding some of my friends in the South.
And yes, some people in Minnesota do sound like those in the movie "Fargo". :)
We did have a great time at the show which would have been two fold if you were there my friend.

That's interesting Jack, and the same certainly applies here in the U.S. with words pronounced differently across the country. Being a "far" Northerner, I have a very tough time understanding some of my friends in the South.
And yes, some people in Minnesota do sound like those in the movie "Fargo". :)
We did have a great time at the show which would have been two fold if you were there my friend.
You've mentioned that before buddy! :D Bearing in mind, the vast scale of the US, it's not surprising that language and pronunciation vary, but every village here has it's own accent, and dialect words! :D Going back to Norfolk, while that is pronounced 'Nor-fuk' here, if the second part of the word was at the front, it would be pronounced to rhyme with 'woke', as in Folkestone. But to confuse things, while the first syllable of that place name is pronounced 'Foke', the second is not pronounced 'stone', but 'stun'! :D Hard to win! ;) Thanks mate, I wish I could have been there :) :thumbsup:

Great reading guys!
I hope that you had a great time with Barrett, would be great to meet up with him one day :thumbsup:

I hope there are more interviews with Mark Z- the things he must have seen! Really interesting, that's what intrigues me so much is the depth of the Knife World when I go traveling and meeting so many great people - I'm scared to start naming if I miss one out.

I'm sure a Mr. Jack Black would make and outstanding guest- a great guy who has had such experience that its almost mind boggling to someone like me who picks up the odd knife here and there! - The lives you my friends have lived is so intriguing and fascinating and thank you for sharing with us your experiences and knowledge.

My Wife is English, and its really funny because Sue's Mum couldn't understand me when I spoke to her on the phone 🤣, and its not until you travel that you meet up with amazing lovely people - but they all speak funny! 😂

Great reading guys!
I hope that you had a great time with Barrett, would be great to meet up with him one day :thumbsup:
I think you two would get on like a house on fire Duncan :) :thumbsup:
I hope there are more interviews with Mark Z- the things he must have seen! Really interesting, that's what intrigues me so much is the depth of the Knife World when I go traveling and meeting so many great people - I'm scared to start naming if I miss one out.

I'm sure a Mr. Jack Black would make and outstanding guest- a great guy who has had such experience that its almost mind boggling to someone like me who picks up the odd knife here and there! - The lives you my friends have lived is so intriguing and fascinating and thank you for sharing with us your experiences and knowledge.
Thanks mate, I think you've had a few adventures yourself over the years! :) :thumbsup:

9uEfQjo.jpg

My Wife is English, and its really funny because Sue's Mum couldn't understand me when I spoke to her on the phone 🤣, and its not until you travel that you meet up with amazing lovely people - but they all speak funny! 😂
I have to confess, I can't understand a word you're saying either, but I just smile and nod my head! 🤣 ;):):thumbsup:

I’m trying not to read too many comments so I don’t spoil anything. I got through episode 18 (shields) today while cleaning so I had to post this because I literally came across it yesterday on the ‘bay. I couldn’t help but laugh when I heard hear you guys mention it right after I saw it. 😂
0D65595C-5F26-434B-96E8-281E5871D30B.jpeg

Charlie, your Buffaloien sounds just perfect my friend, you have always come across extremely well!

Oh Jack- wasn't Stan just a great person the meet- I loved that day with you being taken all around Sheffield - meeting Stan was a highlight, but so too was meeting Jack Black as well! We will have to make it a third meet one day soonish matey :) But next time I finish a sentence I will ask you to repeat back to me what I said 🤣 😂

Released a show today with knife maker Rhidian Catrill. Thanks to Charlie for helping to set this one up.
Beyond a very talented maker, Rhidian is such a genuine good guy!!!

And Jack, what a great picture of Stan and Duncan.

I LOVED meeting Stan - Sue Jack and I stayed for a good couple of hours as Stan loved talking to us, I was very deeply touched by stan that day for the amazing Human Being he was- I described him as a Beautiful person and I mean that very much. I don't think it was Headlight Blindness, Sue felt that same about Stan - as we do Jack.

Herder my friend, Stan is Holding "Flat Belly" one of Charlies first Clip Point TC's, I really wanted Charlie to see Stan holding Charlies creation - Stan commented favorably on the Knife as well.

Oh Jack- wasn't Stan just a great person the meet- I loved that day with you being taken all around Sheffield - meeting Stan was a highlight, but so too was meeting Jack Black as well! We will have to make it a third meet one day soonish matey :) But next time I finish a sentence I will ask you to repeat back to me what I said 🤣 😂
Meeting you all was one of the great days of my life Duncan 🙂 Stan sure did like a natter, I lost count of the trains back to Leeds I missed, we would go to lunch, and I'd just help him back to his workshop, and I'd be there another 2 or 3 hours! 😁 Walking round Sheffield would be less interesting today I'm afraid Duncan, the old factories are being destroyed at a terrible pace ☹️ I would love a hat-trick pal 🙂 Maybe H herder will come over too 😉👍

Released a show today with knife maker Rhidian Catrill. Thanks to Charlie for helping to set this one up.
Beyond a very talented maker, Rhidian is such a genuine good guy!!!

And Jack, what a great picture of Stan and Duncan.
I've listened twice already!! Mind boggling talent flying around that episode!!
Nice job - all four of you!!! Mike, Jason, Neal and Rhid!!!
And Rhidian was born to his Art!!!

I can see why you have listened to Rhidians Episode twice Charlie- like you say- The pure talent and knowledge of the whole team is such a superb listen. I have just finished my first listen as I am attacking some old Weatherboards on my House- I have to tell you that this "Catch Bit Pod Cast" is pretty special.

The Catch Bit Show hits on every subject to do with the Knife World and a lot that effects every person on this great Traditional Website, one of all of our worries we all have is Postage and the Mailing of Knives - I am affected by this terribly- down to the descriptions being the cause of packages being sent back, The route the packages take to get from Point A to destination- and most of them go for a World-wide trip - and its very stressful watching your parcel go around the World knowing the longer the Journey the more chances of loss or theft.

I can see why Charlie speaks very Highly of Rhidian - he sounds like one very nice person who is a very talented individual in many areas that not only include Knife Making - what a Future he has!

Loved hearing about the Lockwood Bros. Knife and how Charlie got that Thread and Knives going. We have a lot to thank you for Charlie, and Rhidian matey - thank you! Of course to Neal, Jason and Mike - thanks to you guys- every episode is a great listen.

Had a little fun with Neal H herder yesterday for April fools. Boy he's gullible! 🤣

waynorth waynorth Charlie, Rhids presentation has got to be the best in the buisness for us custom traditional pocketknife guys! Truly one of my personal favorite makers and a great guy to boot.

Sorry all, I have been a little quiet lately. It's a very hectic time of year for me personally. Trying to keep my shop moving along. Getting our campground ready for the season. My son getting started with travel baseball and the railroad never sleeps. It seems this time of year is when the most issues for my department arrise with spring storms and the fluctuating temps. I want to again thank you all for your continued support for our show. You guys are all the best! Neal H herder I decided I'll stick around so we can continue to try and entertain these fellas and ladies a little while longer. ;) 😁

Last edited:
Like Mr Butler ;) :D :thumbsup:

Tell us more! :D :thumbsup:
Jack the details are a little sensitive but let's just say when I got that phone call from Neal I knew I better spill the beans, my little trick had worked a little too well. 😬 I'm going to remain very cautions going forward. I'm certain I have payback coming. Lol

Jack the details are a little sensitive but let's just say when I got that phone call from Neal I knew I better spill the beans, my little trick had worked a little too well. 😬 I'm going to remain very cautions going forward. I'm certain I have payback coming. Lol
LOL! 🤣 :thumbsup:

Back