Podcast centered around slip joint making/traditional knife history - The Catch Bit Show

What a ride!

Those three guys are great people!

I have to right a wee wrong here folks.....
Sue wanted to sit down with me and listen to the podcast - so we were when I sat up in horror as I realised something didn't sound right :eek:

The Schrade Walden Peachseed Whittler we were talking about in the earlier stages - I stated was from 1941, when I heard that I kind of froze! So I dug the knife up again and checked it and my sticker I have on the Knife does correctly read 1947 with the Sears Catalog number 9488 ( from the Sears Christmas Book page 212 ) but I read it out when on the podcast as '41, Please accept my apologies.

Neal asked just when Schrade did start making knives for Sears and they did start around that time of the above mentioned Whittler - late '40's onwards to the more well known brand names in the 60's in large numbers such as Old Crafty, ACA Edge and American Eagle etc.

Last edited:
After the article that Duncan and I wrote on Sears knives for "Knife Magazine", and this recent podcast, we both joked that Sears knives are going to be priced out of our reach.
Those models from the early 1900s up through the middle of the century were amazingly well-made knives.

finally listened to waynorth waynorth 's part 2

bvOlK67.jpg

3JI6WsP.jpg

one inside out and one soup!
A couple of Unicorns!!! Nice!!!

This week the guys gave a nice light listen, Figural Knives! I like the way Jason, Mike and Neal start the show off with a little banter- it seems Mike still cant let go about the Craftsman Phillips Screwdrivers 🤣

We are so lucky to have our local friends do this show- an enjoyable listen- as well to boot an educational one!

So this week was Figural Knives- we here probably would immediately go in our minds to the French Kate that has been reproduced so many times- even GEC did the French Kate- in fact my wife sue owns a GEC Stag version of the French Kate- though she did some gardening one day and didn't wipe the Blades and she soon learnt that Carbon Steel and aggressive plant sap don't mix.

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall to see some of Neal's examples he showed the guys as he explained about the Knives, we don't often see Figural Knives unless we are looking at very old Knives as seen on Bernard Levine's Cover of edition 4, I wonder if these genuine older Figural Knives are in the more elite type of collections or possibly the more European? maybe Neal, Jason or Mike may come in and help.

As always a neat listen, thank you to the trio :):thumbsup:

Excellent...I ve been hanging out for the new episide....I listen on my bus while driving back to the depot in the afternoon.

No Jason this last Episode 😞 or as Mike referred it to an "Almost Episode", It was a fill in with a little story about James Bowie.

Again, here is me in the Garage as I am messing around and I always cannot wait to hear the latest of what Jason. Neal, Mike have to talk about- their Banter between them is always so good- almost as good as the Episode's topic.

I can only imagine what goes into each and every episode, First of all trying to time both Mike and Jason who have young Families to sit down and get into it all would be a battle in itself- let alone what else life brings to the table of everyday business and Family dealings, Neal too with his Family, his work and travels as well.

Mike also then has to edit the complete discussion - I imagine the discussions with guests would be up to an hour- to an hour and a half - perhaps longer - so trying to edit all that would be hours of work, we get to have the pleasure of the pure entertainment and learning of the episode while we carry on with our daily thing - pretty cool and luck and I want to say a MASSIVE Thank You to the three lads, there is so much investigation and referencing before any episode and I am real grateful to be able to listen to all this down here in New Zealand.

This week is a short story about James Bowie one day coming across a guy who's manners could do with a tune up, I love to hear anything about those days and the challenges, the fights that would often lead to death, and well anything with James Bowie has to be a good listen right?

Another great episode to listen to! A relaxed chat about Neal and Mike catching up about the Atlanta Blade Show.

In the few trips I have had around the Canada and USA countries I have had the privilege of meeting a lot of very nice people in the Knife World - hearing Mike and Neal talk about getting around the Show took me back to the experiences I had at the GEC Rendezvous and Queen Show, I could only imagine with the Atlanta Blade show being so huge what a huge experience that would be.
Jason couldn't make it to the show, but it wasnt just Mike and Neal as the Catch Bit Podcast has a really neat way of starting of with super relaxed chat- Banter between the guys and the Workshops of Jason and Mike and whats happening inside those sheds 4 walls.
Their style is relaxed and fun yet darned informative chat always between them and always with a chuckle- the guest line up must be big, but also challenging to tie the people down and make it so the time is right for everyone.

I really like listening to the show when I am working outside or in the Garage.

Who else here in Traditionals listens to the Catch Bit Podcast? if you do- bang in the 5 star rating if you think its that as this really helps the guys out, you could if you liked the show make a wee donation ( as podcast do ) to help the running costs a wee bit. We have a strong saying here in New Zealand and that is "Support the locals'

Me personally I think it would be neat to read what other traditional members here think of the show because I think we have quite a special place here filled with good people with a strong passion of the Traditional Knife - because there's always one thing I pick up in all of our chats here in Traditionals is that the people also mean a lot to us here as well as the Knives, which is a great thing to have here.

I wanted to thank Charlie for another great show with him walking us through the GEC rendezvous. A gathering of friends that is definitely on my to-do list.

And for those who enjoy Sheffield related cutlery, a show was just released with a wonderful guest by the name of Nick Duggan from Sheffield.
Nick is involved with a fascinating project creating both knowledge and enthusiasm for Sheffield cutlery and related tools.

I just finished listening to that latest podcast Herder - That was such an interesting podcast listening to Nick and his ongoing project, I enjoyed it immensely!

Thank you Herder, Mike and Jason once again for this, :) :thumbsup:

I've really been enjoying the show, particularly the episodes with Charlie.

Huge thanks to Mike, Neal and Jason for the effort!

1000009725.jpg
2011 2x4 SR
5spd manual.
Goes like a scalded cat......with me at the helm.
You guys ever heard of 'Dog and Lemon'...very intetesting reading on cars history and marketing...long story short the meakomachine has never let me down...👍

It would be good to see this Thread continue after the Catch Bit having a Hiatus, What a fantastic start off with Jason, Mike and Neal with this show. This Thread has a little too much History as it was from the Starting off period.

With Jason literally having two businesses and a young Family, I know as most of us do the commitments and time that a young Family needs and really hope that Jason can come in as a Special guest with some of his works and new ventures in the time that he has had in his Workshop.

Really looking forward to the next guest - it will be awesome! It will be great hearing Neals and Mikes voice again, with a tinge of sadness we wont hear Jasons, it was good to kind of "get to know" Jason that we did with him being involved in Catch Bits first phase.

Well done to all involved, and a massive thank you.

Back