Small Manual Flippers with 2.25-3.25 inch Blades

The Hinderer Tri-Way XM-18 3" Skinny Flipper with CPM-20CV Blade and G-10 Handles (Black, Red, OD Green and Flat Dark Earth) is available now for $375.

It's a titanium liner lock, weighs 3.2 ounces and the blade thickness is only 0.125". You can operate it with bearings or washers. Comes with bearings installed and includes the phosphor bronze and teflon washers.

The current production comes with a Stonewashed Sheepsfoot Blade.

Makes for a great EDC.

timthumb.php

RHKK1101SSG00BK_3.jpg

RHKK1101SSG00BK_4.jpg

Not yet but I'll order one soon after I decide on the color (Black, Red, OD Green and Flat Dark Earth). I'm a big fan of sheepsfoot blades for EDC.

timthumb.php

timthumb.php

timthumb.php

timthumb.php

Thanks for posting this RamZar RamZar , this wasn't even on my radar. I haven't been this excited about a knife in... a few weeks

The dealers that I know of which had the Hinderer XM-18 3" Skinny in stock are now out of stock but more are due next week.

I got my Hinderer Tri-Way XM-18 3" Skinny Flipper , CPM-20CV Stonewashed Sheepsfoot Blade, Gray G10 Handles back in May 2019 but unfortunately returned it due to several issues:
difficult liner lock access, strong detent makes it hard in index finger to flip and to open via thumb studs and blade is slightly off center.

Recently, I got one of the slimmest flippers: Pena X-Series Trapper Front Flipper, M390, Jigged Titanium. It flicks open like a Bic lighter, takes very little room in the pocket and weighs just 2.5 ounces. Very well made by Reate. Slight issue with portion of frame being sharp where the lock meets. Very nice EDC. Blade length: 2.8"; Blade thickness: 0.12". There are also models with CF and Micarta.

7gFNjES.jpg

fFpLFaF.jpg

pPdiqCH.jpg

Gmr2JL8.jpg

Is that trapper for sale?

Limited numbers were available at a few dealers in late November 2019 and were quickly gone. Hopefully, there’ll be another batch made this year. There were three models: Jigged Titanium (like mine), CF with TI bolster and Micarta with TI bolster. All were $274.

My latest small manual flipper is another front flipper: Reate Bushido with a near 3" blade of Stonewashed M390, titanium liners and CF weighing 2.6 ounces. One of the best front flipper opening mechanisms. Love it. Very smooth and easy opening. Better than my Pena X Series Trapper also made by Reate because the tab protrudes out further but is still low profile. The reason front flippers are my favorite opening mechanism now is that very little protrudes from the side or top like traditional flipper tabs and thus takes less space in the pocket. Also, there’s nothing on the blade like a hole or thumb studs getting in the way of cutting or anything else. The Reate Bushido comes in 5 varieties: SW/CF, Satin/CF, SW/Burlap Micarta, Satin/Burlap Micarta and Black Blade & Hardware/CF going for $235-$242.

XTFiQPl.jpg

iOYU5Xa.jpg

ECeXprM.jpg

V2emxyf.jpg

9Dn6TpF.jpg

lMfoIvu.jpg

FYbNdn1.jpg

Last edited:
Love the photos -- thanks, Ram. And congrats!
The protruding tab and aggressive jimping didn't work for me -- different strokes.
I prefer the Pena X series. My favorites are the Zulus.

Love the photos -- thanks, Ram. And congrats!
The protruding tab and aggressive jimping didn't work for me -- different strokes.
I prefer the Pena X series. My favorites are the Zulus.

The Pena X Series Trapper, Zulu and Swayback slim front flippers are all made by Reate and fantastic. Very hard to get at the $274 price but at least I have the Trapper at that price.

My latest small manual flipper is another front flipper: Reate Bushido with a near 3" blade of Stonewashed M390, titanium liners and CF weighing 2.6 ounces. One of the best front flipper opening mechanisms. Love it. Very smooth and easy opening. Better than my Pena X Series Trapper also made by Reate because the tab protrudes out further but is still low profile. The reason front flippers are my favorite opening mechanism now is that nothing protrudes from the side like traditional flipper tabs and thus takes less space in the pocket. Also, there’s nothing on the blade like a hole or thumb studs getting in the way of cutting or anything else. The Reate Bushido comes in 5 varities: SW/CF, Satin/CF, SW/Burlap Micarta, Satin/Burlap Micarta and Black Blade & Hardware/CF going for $235-$242.

XTFiQPl.jpg

iOYU5Xa.jpg

ECeXprM.jpg

V2emxyf.jpg

9Dn6TpF.jpg

lMfoIvu.jpg

FYbNdn1.jpg
I just received the all black Bushido yesterday and I'm very impressed. It's my first Reate and I've became an instant fan. Everything is spot on and the front/top flipper is so easy to use. It's so much better than my Kizer Feist and even the new small Artisan Centauri. It made me realize that this front/top flipper design is probably going to be the future of front flippers because it's so easy to use and elimates "pocket peckers."

Got my Pena Knives X Series Apache front/top flipper made by Reate. 2.82" blade length of M390 with Marbled CF weighing just 2.6 ounces. Like the Trapper the flipper is very flush with the top but easy to open like a Bic lighter.

MaUDSS4.jpg

SDJj2Ly.jpg

QqQd30W.jpg

idE1BS7.jpg

WVB1mI0.jpg

aWGrns8.jpg

Here are all of my front/top manual flippers with blade lengths of just under 3 inches.

1. Pena X Series Apache
  2. Reate Bushido
  3. Pena X Series Trapper
  4. Kizer Feist Reverse Tanto
  5. Kizer Feist Drop Point

NoU8cJD.jpg

ZImwzbG.jpg

O1W5ZH9.jpg

Nice work, Ram -- congratulations!
And your photos are as good as ever.

Last edited:
Ram -- the Isham Abstruse is one of my favorite front-flippers.
I have both the Ti and the CF versions. I like both and slightly prefer my well-broken-in CF version.

Three new small manual flippers I've gotten the past couple of months. As of the past few years they have blade lengths of 2.75"-3", blade thickness of 0.10"-0.125", weigh about 2.5-3.25 ounces and are thin and slim.

• Reate Tribute M390 Titanium with CF/Zirconium Front/Top Flipper
  • WE Black Void Opus 20CV Titanium with CF Front/Top Flipper
  • WE Mini Synergy 20CV Integral Titanium Side Flipper

bajoRGH.jpg

tspQlWj.jpg

eGrO7p1.jpg

S34MUa4.jpg

AlNd3w5.jpg

cybm55p.jpg

m3Q0eVr.jpg

tNy0c4o.jpg

3gUdFo2.jpg